Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Ranch Kale Chips!

If I could insert a big eyed smilie face with hearts on the eyeballs right now I would. SO obsessed with these. Literally, I could eat them all day. One of those things that taste better than they look. I've been a kale chip fiend for quite some time, even with the left over bits of kale that always hang out in my teeth after consumption and are near impossible to get out has not deferred me from them in the least. I'm a big fan of anything healthy that actually tastes good-- and sneaking kale in any way that I can. Kale is the most nutrient dense food on the planet! I always kept it pretty simple on the baking sheet with garlic salt and pepper-- until I got some ranch flavored ones at whole foods and crushed a whole bag at a time. They were expensive, and those of you who know me know I always get the bulk bag of kale (usually have to find creative ways to eat it all by myself before it goes bad) so this was victorious, and way cheaper. I tweaked the ingredients from the bag of them I got at whole foods and came up with this. I made some salt n vinegar ones also, but they weren't as good. I'll keep trying on those ones! 


What you need:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 1 hour to soften1/2 bag of organic chopped kale1/4 cup purified water1 tbsp apple cider vinegar1 (heaping) tbsp nutritional yeast1 tsp dried parsley1 tsp garlic powder1 tsp dried dill1/2 tsp onion powder1/2 tsp ground black pepper1/2 tsp sea salt1/2 tsp paprika
What to do:
Blend  the cashews, water and seasonings in a food processor until smooth. Place mixture in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. 
Wash the kale thoroughly and remove the stems. Add kale into the large bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands until kale is evenly and well coated. Transfer the kale to your dehydrator. Dehydrate overnight or until dried and crispy. I just have a cheap dehydrator with no settings, but If you have settings on your dehydrator according to google it will take about 5-8 hours at 115 degrees. If you do not have a dehydrator you can try them in a baking sheet at 350 until crispy. I used to always do kale chips in the oven, just drizzled with olive oil or grapeseed oil, garlic salt and pepper but they come out much better in a dehydrator-- no burnt or soggy ones! Dehydrators are about $30 on amazon or walmart! Dehydrated apples are amazing too with cinnamon and xylitol! I'll add that post soon :) Hope you love em!

Salt N Vinegar-- these ones I've found to come out better on a cookie sheet, couldn't taste the vinegar as much when dehydrated. Spread on cookie sheet drizzle with a little olive oil, sea salt. Spray bottle of vinegar works best to distribute it well so they all get coated but don't get soggy. Bake at 350 until crispy. The spray bottle of vinegar can double as natural disinfectant cleaner ;)