Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Healthy Orange Chicken

Ok. I'm gonna be upfront about this. The first time I made this it came out incredible, like lick the bowl good... but the second time it came out awful. I'm hoping you get the first experience rather than the latter and I will re-attempt this again soon to see what I may have done wrong. The second time I kind of wung it in someone else's kitchen and it was much too salty and the sauce didn't thicken... I'm thinking I over-did it on the liquid aminos and didn't cook it in the right kind of pan. So stick to this recipe as much as possible, not a lot of room for free-styling on this one! This pairs really well with the "fried rice" recipe a couple ones below on here! Hope you enjoy :)


1lb of boneless vegetarian fed chicken
(I like thighs, more tender but breasts will work also!)
3TBS coconut oil

2TBS of liquid aminos (when it came out gross I put like 4 trying to thicken the sauce)
juice of two medium or large oranges
1tsp garlic powder

1tsp fresh ginger or ground ginger to taste if fresh isn't available
3 chopped green onions

In a medium size shallow skillet, add the orange juice, ginger, garlic powder and liquid aminos . Set over medium heat and let simmer to reduce and thicken while the chicken cooks. In a saute pan, heat coconut oil over medium high heat. Add the chopped chicken and cook until golden. Add the chicken to the sauce pot and stir to coat with the orange sauce. Serve topped with sliced green onions.