Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Healthified Taco Shells!

It has come to the point where I have a self-admitted problem. I am a Chipotle fiend. I'm not even ashamed. So what? I may or may not know the staff by name, I have an app on my phone, get extra guac because they like me... if they had a fan club... I'd join. That being said, it wasn't easy for me to shoot down Chipotle tonight, after being tempted all day by my roommate. Time and money were not on my side, and I have a lot of beef to use up thanks to Vineyard Farms!  I could eat chipotle salads every day of my life and not get sick of it, my roommate salivates for their tacos...So I decided to make us healthy tacos here. If only I could master the barbacoa. Someday.




SHELLS:
1/3 cup blanched almond flour
1/3 cup Jay Robb unflavored whey protein 
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
Water (just enough to hold dough together)
Optional: Mexican spices
You'll need parchment paper & either olive oil, grapeseed oil, or butter

RECOMMENDED FILLINGS: 
--> grass fed beef (GA readers, support local! 100% grass fed beef  http://vineyardfarms.blogspot.com/ )
(I avoid the MSG filled seasoning packets and use garlic powder, ground oregano, chili powder, ground cumin, sea salt, pepper, cayenne pepper & onion powder)
--> raw cheese
--> organic shredded lettuce
--> avacado or guacamole
--> olives
--> tomato or salsa
---> organic sour cream--> cilantro
--> hot sauce


Preheat oven to 350. Blend all dry ingredients together, slowly add a little bit of water at a time until you can make it into a dough with your fingers. Grease 2 large pieces of parchment paper. Make dough into about 1-1.5 inch balls, roll tightly. Cover with the additional sheet of parchment paper and roll dough using a rolling pin to about 1/16th inch thick circles.Remove the top piece of parchment. Place the bottom parchment (with the rolled out dough) onto a cookie sheet, repeat with remaining dough. 

Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, form into a taco shell, the dough will be pliable. Place back into oven for 8-10 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven to completely cool. Makes 4 servings. 
You can also make taco boats with lettuce